What are Tannins?
Tannins create a light yellow to dark brown discoloration in the water. Tannins are dissolved decayed organic matter found in surface water such as shallow wells, lakes and streams. Tannin produces a yellow or tea colour in water which makes it aesthetically unappealing. Although tannin isn't a direct health risk, it negatively impact performance of ultraviolet disinfection systems. A simple test for tannins involves filling a clear glass with water and letting it sit overnight. If the colour settles to the bottom of the glass then the discoloration is most likely caused by iron and/or manganese, and not tannins. If the intensity of the colour remains intact, it is most likely caused by tannins. If you suspect your water may contain tannins you may require a tannin filter in your water system.
You should consider having your water tested for sulfates, alkalinity, iron, total dissolved solids (TDS) and hardness, as these may help determine which treatment method(s) will be most effective for your situation. There is another reason to test for iron along with tannins; iron creates a false positive for tannins and must be subtracted from the tannin result to determine that true tannin concentration.
Although the presence of tannin in your water may not present a health hazard it does present an aesthetic problem and this will cause your water to be unappealing to drink and may also stain your laundry and other household items.
What can I use to remove Tannins from my water?
Eagle Water Treatment specializes in removing unwanted agents from your water and provides a finishing system that treats conditions such as tannin in the water. Our tannin removal unit provides an excellent solution to having yellow water, which can cause yellow staining on fabrics and fixtures. It is also important to consider that having tannins in your water measuring 0.5 PPM or higher may cause staining and/or interference with various water treatment processes. Unlike most water conditioners the Eagle Tannin Removal System is designed to soften your hard water as well as remove tannins.
Benefits of The Eagle Tannin Removal System:
- The Eagle Whole Home Tannin Removal System provides crystal clear, soft, tannin free water at every tap in your home
- Removes up to 5ppm of Tannins
- Prevents Staining on Bathroom & Kitchen Fixtures
- Prevents Staining on Dishes, Dishwasher, Washing Machine & Clothes
- Prevents Hard Water Scale
- Higher Quality Drinking Water
- Connects to the Main Supply Line of your House
- Significantly Reduces Soap & Cleaning Product Consumption
- Provides Excellent Grooming & Cosmetic Benefits
- Reduces Water Heating Costs
- Prolongs the Life of Water Heaters - Icemakers - Dishwashers - Coffeemakers - Plumbing Fixtures
- Keeps Glassware & Silverware Sparkling
- Household Cleaning & Maintenance is Reduced
- Clothes are Brighter & Cleaner
- Reduces Existing Scale Buildup
Note: A Tannin filter will not remove or kill microorganisms that can contribute to water with higher turbidity levels. If these issues exist, please contact us and we will have one of our professional representatives conduct a water evaluation to properly determine your water conditions.